Sunday, May 30, 2010

[GMW #1970] I Came To The United Nations To Work For Peace So The Next Generation Would Not Know The Horrors I Saw In World War II



[GMW #1970] I Came To The United Nations To Work For Peace So The Next Generation Would Not Know The Horrors I Saw In World War II
Tuesday 1 June May 2010, Editor: Easy
| RobertMuller.org | Contact | Subscribe | Unsubscribe |
Biography | World Core Curriculum | Store | Facebook | Twitter
| GMW Blogs: English | Portuguese | Spanish | Tagalog | Dutch |

Idea Dream - Robert Muller's Ideas 1 to 500
Ideas 401 to 500
Introduction

A Testimony to Hope and Plea for Audacity
by Robert Muller
(Part 1)

I joined the United Nations world service in 1948 as a young man who had been in a German Gestapo prison, a French Resistance fighter and had seen the most horrible atrocities of war and destruction.  I came from Alsace-Lorraine, a province of France bordering Germany, where my grandparents knew three wars and changed nationality five times between France and Germany, without leaving their village.  I was a very pessimistic young man.  If this had happened between two highly civilized countries, how could I expect white and black countries, communists and capitalists, rich and poor nations, thousands of religions and ethnic groups to be able to live together in peace?  Surely there would be an incident which would trigger off another world war within twenty years.  Well, there was no third world war.

In the empty war factory in Lake Success where the United Nations was first located, a British delegate asked me what I was doing there.  I answered: "I came here to work for peace, because I do not want my children and grandchildren to know the horrors I saw in the war."  He answered: "I pity you, young man, because you will lose your job.  This organization will not last more than five years."  Well, it celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 1995.

I was also told in Lake Success that decolonization was the priority item on the agenda of world affairs and that it would take the United Nations from one hundred to one hundred fifty years to solve the problem.  Well, the UN did it in forty years.  I was told the same about apartheid, women's rights, human rights, and indigenous people, the Cold War, and I could cite other examples.

Robert's The Miracle, Joy and Art of Living,  
Volume II Chapter 14 - Of Writing
I write only what I must.  What happens to the fruit is not of concern to the tree.


UN News Sources - UN Chronicle, United Nations News Service , UN Wire News Archive
References: Earth Charter, Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Rights of: Children, Women, Indigenous People
To Be Written: Rights of Nature, Birds, Animals, Fish, etc.

 WORD FOR THE DAY
Don't ask what the world needs.
Ask what makes you come alive and
go out and do it. Because what
the world needs is people
who have come alive.
Howard Thurman

Books recommended by Robert are here.
Other newsletters by GMW's editor can be viewed and subscribed to here.

Subscribe to or unsubscribe from GoodMorningWorld.org

Robert's Harmonic & Talk
Ode To Joy
Never Give Up (Audio Talk)

Decide to - poems
Decide To Index
Decide To Poems


No comments: